Friday, September 23, 2005

I Love Doug

I just finished re-reading Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend In A Coma for like, the millionth time. Anyone out there who hasn't yet dipped into Doug, well, you haven't lived. Get yourself down to Waterstone's pronto.

The best sex scene ever, from Girlfriend In A Coma (reproduced without permission, sorry Doug, I'm assuming you won't mind):

"That night - December 15, 1979 - Karen had been so ravenous, demanding that we connect full-tilt. She said to me, "So, Richard, are we ever gonna do it or what?" She unzipped her bib overalls on a steep, breast-shaped mogul, then hauled me into the woods, where she yanked me down into the scraping snow, a snow too icy for snow angels. I felt so young, and she looked so mature. She pulled me with unfamiliar urgency, as though an invasion were about to occur that would send us off to war. So there we lay, pumping like lions, the insides of our heads hot slot machines clanging out silver dollars, rubies, and sugar candies."

If I could just figure out a way to curl up inside Douglas Coupland's brain then I would die a happy woman.